How To Solve The Error “E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER”
This post is about how to solve the error: “Error getting license. License server communication problem: E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER”.
Reason For This Error
This error is related to Adobe’s DRM (digital rights management) for ebooks. If you’re getting this error, it means that your copy of Adobe Digital Editions has not been authorized with the correct Adobe ID.
This can happen a few different ways:
- You originally downloaded the ebook on a different computer, and the computer you’re using now is authorized with a different Adobe ID or isn’t authorized at all.
- You got the ebook illegally, either from a friend who emailed it to you, or through an illegal download.
- You bought the book legally but have screwed up your authorizations through some other manner, like trying to use two different Adobe IDs.
What Is “Authorization” and “Adobe ID”?
Adobe’s DRM works by associating each ebook with your Adobe ID. The “Adobe ID” is simply a free account that you set up with Adobe. If you’ve ever used their forums or downloaded any of their software you probably already have one. You can sign up for an Adobe ID here.
If you’re going to be using ebooks that are protected with this DRM, you should first authorize Adobe Digital Editions with your Adobe ID. That will associate the ebook with your Adobe ID, and allow you to put the ebook on another computer or device later on. If you associate each computer/device with the same Adobe ID, you can then use that ebook on all of those devices.
If Adobe Digital Editions has been authorized with a different Adobe ID than the one which the ebook has been associated, then it won’t open on that computer or device.
How To Fix This Error
If you’re getting an error message that indicates that the licensing for the ebook is causing a problem, that means that you have authorized Adobe Digital Editions (or an app on your device) with the wrong Adobe ID. The only way to solve this is to authorize it with the correct Adobe ID.
How do you know what the correct Adobe ID is? Well, the best way to be certain is to only ever use one Adobe ID. That way, you won’t mix them up. If you’ve forgotten your username or password, use Adobe’s website to find them. If you’ve downloaded the ebook illegally, there is no way to know which Adobe ID is the correct one since the ebook came from some unknown person.
Once you’ve remembered which Adobe ID you’re supposed to be using, you need to de-authorize Adobe Digital Editions and then authorize with the correct Adobe ID.
How To De-Authorize Adobe Digital Editions
1. Open Adobe Digital Editions
2. On your keyboard, simultaneously press the Ctrl, Shift, and D buttons (if on Windows) or the Cmd, Shift, and D buttons (if on a Mac)
3. Click the “Deauthorize” button
How to Authorize Adobe Digital Editions
1. Open Adobe Digital Editions
2. Adobe Digital Editions will behave as if you’ve just installed it, and will prompt you to enter your login information for your Adobe ID. Use the Adobe ID account information that you want to use to authorize Adobe Digital Editions.
About The eBook ReaderI love reading and I love technology. eBooks are an interesting combination of the two.
Top Posts & Pages
- How To Solve Adobe Digital Editions Error #2038
- ACSM Files - What they are and how to work with them
- How To Open .acsm Files
- How To Change the Authorized Adobe ID
- Adobe Digital Editions
- How To Solve The Error "E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER"
- How to Authorize Your eReader for Adobe Digital Editions
eBook Reader Software Blog by Jared Scott is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.